According to the American Liver Foundation, liver health is a way of life. And the key to overall good health. This is due in large part to the function of the liver plays in our body. The liver actually acts as an inner filter and helps our cells to get the right amount of nutrients they need to survive and thrive. To promote good liver health, you can do some very simple things on a daily basis.
1) Maintain a well-balanced diet that is high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and nutrients, but low in fat, sodium, sugar (refined) and cholesterol. Making sure to get a sufficient number of foods that are high in fiber, complex carbohydrates, vitamins and nutrients, such as broccoli, cabbage, beans, onions, artichokes, and beets – to name a few – can help preserve the health of your liver.
2) Stick to lean proteins. Although there is no need to cut the protein from your diet, you should make sure to keep them clean if you’re looking to maintain a healthy liver. Cold-water fish like salmon and mackerel, are really your best options for a healthy liver, but you can eat lean meats such as chicken and beef.
3) Drink plenty of water. This is just a good rule of thumb for your overall health, but it can do wonders to promote a healthy liver. This is largely due to the detoxification process that occurs in the body (including the liver) when you get enough water in your diet. Shoot for 48 64 ounces a day.
4) Start taking supplements specially formulated for the liver. Currently, there are a number of food supplements available on the market that can promote good liver health. Many multivitamins “standard” can do the trick, but you can also consider using Bacopa Monnieri a water-soluble antioxidant, a supplement based on herbs, which are believed to detoxify and protect the liver or dandelion extract. An alternative medicinal herb believed to improve both digestion and liver function.
5) Exercise daily. If you are serious about promoting good liver health, you should also get serious about your overall health, as the two often go hand in hand.
6) Maintain a healthy weight. According to the American Liver Foundation, one of the ways in which a person can promote good health of the liver it is to maintain a healthy weight.
7) See a doctor before starting any kind of diet program and exercise. Speaking with a doctor before starting a diet and exercise program can be useful as it can currently be on a medication or another treatment program that may require modification or your diet or exercise routine.
Tips & Warnings
Limit alcohol consumption to less than two glasses of eight ounces a day, according to the American Liver Foundation.